Saturday, August 16, 2008

Literature and guns

It doesn't happen very often that something leaves me speechless but yes, this morning was one of those rare times.

An article on the Star Telegram left me astonished: teachers and staff in a school of Harrold, Texas, will be carrying guns during school hours. Honestly I don't know what horrified me the most, the fact that I really can't picture my former teachers (or my mother, teacher in high school!) with a gun in the class, or the fact that I can't myself make any suggestion after the Virginia Tech massacre and the Amish school shooting in Pennsylvania.

The headmasters of American schools must be frightened at the idea that something like this is a sad record in the United States educational system and that their biggest challenge is to prevent their school from being the next one.

But what if accidentally one of the gun remains out of the teacher's reach for a second and falls in the wrong hands? Is it not dysfunctional for kids to study in an environment where guns are accepted? Will this have consequences in their young minds? Will they think that having a gun it is not so big deal?

Dealing with children is always difficult and handling such matters is a considerable responsibility. All we can do for now is see what will be the experiment's outcome.

2 comments:

Hall Monitor said...

This story made http://detentionslip.org! It's #1 for crazy school news like this.

Angela said...

And this story is quite crazy, I would say!

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin